Grandpa was called home on April 4th. The home healthcare nurse came over to the house to check on him and told Cathy that he was nearing the end, but probably had a week or two left. After the nurse left, his breathing got really labored and about 30 minutes later he was gone. All it took was Cathy telling him that it was all right to go, he could go be with Grandma and Chris. I can't express in words how much I love and am going to miss my grandpa. I am so thankful for the knowledge we have of the plan of salvation. What a blessing it is to know that we can return to our Heavenly Father and be with our loved ones again!!!
Since all the kids and grandkids had made the trip here to see Grandpa before he passed, they decided to forgo a traditional funeral service. We had a viewing on Thursday the 9th and a small graveside service was held on Friday the 10th. Afterwards, we went to the chapel and had a nice luncheon that was prepared by the Relief Society and then back to Grandpa's for reminiscing and a few card games (you can't get the Collins's together and not play cards). It was nice to spend time with family even given the circumstances.
Here are the last pictures I have of my kids with Grandpa. They were taken on March 19, 2009.

No comments:
Post a Comment