Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Talen starts Kindergarten!!

We had a little bit more stressful time getting Talen to start school than we did with Kennedy.  Before school let out last year, I had a meeting with the principal (Principal Walters), Talen's new Special Needs teacher, and other several other people who have worked with Talen at the Preschool to make sure that his transition from Preschool to Kindergarten went smoothly.  Well, it didn't quite turn out that way.  About a two weeks ago I got phone call from his Special Needs teacher.  It turned out that it was not the same teacher that I had met at the meeting a couple months ago.  To make a long story a little shorter I will leave out some of the details, but I was not happy nor comfortable having Talen being in the "new" special needs classroom.  So I sat down with Principal Staheli to discuss my concerns.  Turns out that the teacher I had met before took a job in another state and that is why Talen was moved into the other class.  I was concerned because if something were to happen to Talen at school I would have to way of knowing because he can't tell me or let me know in any way.  So, after some discussion, Staheli had mentioned that there were two positions open in the special needs classroom.  If I could find someone that I was comfortable with, to send them down, and he would see about hiring them as Talen's personal aide.  So, after I talked to a couple people that I knew, Jay asked why I hadn't asked our good friend Lisa Caver to do it.  She had been looking for a job for a couple years now and I definitely trust her with Talen.  So, I gave her a call.  As soon as I told her what I was calling for, without hesitation, she said she would do it.  So the next day she went down to the school and applied.  She talked to all the necessary people, filled out the paperwork, passed the tests and backgroud check, all she had left to do was the Fit for Duty test and get her badge made and she would officially be hired!  So the day before school starts she went to take the Fit for Duty test and the guy jerk administering the test wouldn't pass her.  She did everything they asked her to, but when it came to lifting the 55 pound dummy from the ground to standing, she couldn't do it "correctly".  She did it (several times actually), but it was not the way that he thought that it should be done, so he would not pass her.  We were so bummed.  After several phone calls from both Lisa and the Principal, the district decided that they would let her retest, but she has to wait a week before she can.  So, if I want Talen to go to Kindergarten, I am going to be going too!!  Let's all cross our fingers and pray that either Lisa practices enough to pacify the tester or he is out sick the next time she goes in!!  So, today Talen and I are off to his first day of Kindergarten.  His teacher is Miss Bonnie and she seems pretty nice.  After going the first day, I decided that I will NOT sent Talen to school unless either I or Lisa are with him.  They are so understaffed it is absolutely ridiculous!!  So, I'm going back to Kindergarten!!







1 comment:

Alli E. said...

He looks so handsome!! I hope you got it all worked out!