Tuesday night (9th) Talen had a bit of a rough night. He had arched a couple times so I decided to just sleep in his bed instead of getting up every 30 minutes or so to adjust him. Once I got in there, he was much more peaceful and the rest of the night went pretty well.
When I dropped him off at school on Wednesday (10th) I told Pat that he had a bad night and might not be able to make it through the full day of school. I was right. Pat called about 11:20 am and said that Talen was having a rough day so I told her I would pick him up when I picked up the other boys. At noon, I grabbed the three boys and went home. Talen was a little wiggly so I held him on the couch for about a half an hour. He had stopped wiggling and I had a client stop by the house to go over some Quickbooks stuff so I put Talen in his bed. My client was there for about 20 minutes and during that time, Talen had started to wiggle again. Just as that client was leaving, another client showed up. At this point I could tell that Talen was poopy so I figured that was why he was wiggly. I talked with the client for a bit and as soon as he left I changed his diaper and took him back out to the couch to try to calm him down again. At 4 pm we decided to give him a double dose of his clonazepam to see if that would help. I held him until I had to take the other boys to swim lessons and handed Talen over to Jay. When we got home, Jay said that he hadn't been able to get him to stop so I took him again. The rest of the night we just held him and tried to keep everyone calm so that he would be able to stop wiggling. Around 8:30, we decided that we needed to give him a little extra help so Jay called our home teacher and friend, Mike Gardner, to come over and help give Talen a blessing. Over the last 17 years I have heard Jay give many blessings, but I think this one was one of his best. He asked our Heavenly Father to help Talen relax and many other wonderful things, but the main thing that stuck out to me was when he told Talen "when you are being held by your mom and your dad, it is as if you are being held by the Lord." Have you ever seen that picture of Jesus holding the lamb? When he said this I couldn't help but picture Him holding Talen with the same love and compassion as you seen in that picture. As much as I love Talen and would do absolutely anything I possible could to help comfort him and make things better, our Savior loves him and wants to comfort and help him just as much as (if not more than) I do. We really are very very blessed.
When it was time for his bedtime meds, we gave him another double dose of clonazepam. He finally stopped around 11 pm for about 20 minutes. We decided to head to bed, but as soon as we got in bed Talen started back up again. Jay said that he was going to hold him out on the couch and see if he could get him to stop again.
At 1:30 am (11th) Jay called me out to the living room to see if he could switch me out. So I took Talen and Jay went to get some rest. I just sat on the couch holding him as he wiggled the rest of the night. He was very wiggly and sweating like crazy! I even changed his shirt part way though the night because the one that he was wearing was soaking wet. Around 5 am Talen really started to get a lot more agitated. He started screaming and crying. This woke up Jay and he suggested that we take him into the ER. I was really just trying to make it until 9 so I could take him into Kaddu's office and skip the whole ER all together, but once the screaming started I knew that wasn't really an option anymore. So, while I jumped in the shower (Talen was so sweaty that I was also covered in his sweat) Jay changed Talen's clothes again and got him into the car. We have done this several times before so I grabbed my stuff (like toothbrush, Talen's meds, I-pad, phone cord) assuming that we would be admitted to the hospital. I woke up Kennedy to get ready for school just before we left and told her to help her dad with her brothers because we probably wouldn't be home for a couple days.
Can I just say how much I hate going to the ER!! Especially if none of the doctors that I know are working! We walked in and they asked the dreaded question, "what's wrong with him." Where do you want me to start?!?! Maybe I hate it so much because every time we go into the ER I am sleep deprived and I have much less patience, but it nearly made me start to cry! I tried to go through the pertinent information and explain to them that I just needed them to knock him out so that his body would stop wiggling. They took us back to a room and I met the Nurse Practitioner that was working that night. They did an IV, took an x-ray of his chest and took blood for bloodwork and cultures. During this time, Nathan Owen from our ward came in (he's the pharmacist at the ER) to say hello. It was so nice to see a familiar face! I nearly started crying just talking to him - I'm blaming that on the lack of sleep too. They gave him 2 mg of ativan to try to get him to stop wiggling and started him on some fluids. Then I noticed that I was getting wet. I told them and they checked the IV - it had come out! They had done it in his hand, but because his hands are so turned, I'm not even surprised that it came out. At this point they weren't sure if the ativan actually made it into his system or not. So they got a new IV put in (in his foot this time) and gave him a dose of morphine. They gave the morphine about 30 minutes to start working, but when it never did, they gave a second dose of ativan. This seemed to work - he stopped wiggling. For the next little while, he'd have little bouts where he was asleep, then he'd arch and scream, then go back to sleep again. To me, he appeared to be more than just agitated, I thought that this time he was definitely in some pain. A couple minutes later we got a couple results back - he had pneumonia and was constipated. I asked about his ck levels and they were 294. (In 2013, he had a hospital stay because he had rhabdomyolysis. Back then his ck levels were 106,000, but I made sure to ask about the levels because we don't want to have to go through that again. However, a max ck level is less than 296, so being 294 was still not good.) They called Kaddu and we were officially being admitted to the hospital.
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment